Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 12 08 11:01 AM

Tags : :

Tolle has been getting a lot of national media play due to Oprah's endorsement of his ideas. Again, I've only gone skin deep with him, and what I take from my survey is that he's demonizing the ego. He may backpedal in his talks a bit and attempt to present a more balanced view, but when you count all the change in the end, he's still setting folks up for an internal schism of personality features, setting sub-personalities against one another in a fruitless attempt at identity purification. There is a very longstanding precedent for this in Vedic-based spiritual culture, but that doesn't mean it actually works.

jody

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 16 08 10:04 AM

I started watching the 'new earth' oprah/tolle love-fest netcasts. As a side note, it was interesting to see what an expensively produced netcast can achieve: reaching a large worldwide audience, all connected in real-time via the video-cast, telephone, email, skype, etc.

Apart from 'The Power of Now' none of Tolle's books ever resonated with me. Once he started getting into the pain body he lost me, adding an unnecessary layer of language to describe something which could be done in a much simpler way. But I have to say, that if you listen to him carefully, you can get some good insights.

The majority of people will turn his words to suit their life (i.e. ego=bad, let me fight ego to find happiness), but some may understand that he is really talking about identification. So I think the netcast is better than his books. When he is explaining something in real-time, he does have more opportunity to say the same thing over and over again, and a few more splinters of the truth come out.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 16 08 4:55 PM

There is always going to be great difficulty in bringing nondual truth to a mass audience. No matter how clear they make the language, folks are going to create their own interpretations, and that's going to muck it all up.

That said, I don't think you ever have to use the "e" word to put across nondual truth. It's a mistake right from the start. Tolle should excise the term ego from his teaching. It would go a long way toward preventing the kind of confusion that is occurring in mass quantities now.

jody

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 27 08 6:15 PM

A couple years back, I visited a long-time friend, someone I know through many meditation retreats and discussions and such. He'd become a big Tolle fan, so we watched about an hour of a video of one of Tolle's programs. One thing stood out for me, and I wonder if anyone else relates. Tolle was talking about some particular contemplation or practice, and suggested that during the course of ordinary life, if we'd just dedicate a minute or two of each hour to remembering it, it'd serve to bring us back to Now. But what about the other 58 minutes of the hour? It sounded like Tolle was offering a way to periodically rise above our mundane lives and enter his spiritual Truth. Like: his is a teaching of discarding the mundane for the spiritual. It didn't include any inspiration for questioning the very duality of spiritual/mundane.

I think doing business is wonderful. I don't begrudge anyone for making a buck. And yet... it does seem difficult to reconcile good teaching with a profit motive. If you really are teaching people that Truth has already appeared, right now... the problem is that you're not inspiring them to BUY anything!

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

May 6 08 10:21 AM

Tolle was talking about some particular contemplation or practice, and suggested that during the course of ordinary life, if we'd just dedicate a minute or two of each hour to remembering it, it'd serve to bring us back to Now. But what about the other 58 minutes of the hour? It sounded like Tolle was offering a way to periodically rise above our mundane lives and enter his spiritual Truth.

I think that Tolle isn't that far off the mark there. Most people don't have the concentration or mindfulness to stay "in the moment" or whatever 100% of the time. That was what Sidd G. was pointing to: these are the ways we cling, these are the things we are confused over, etc. that prevent us from being in the true nature of each moment. So when Tool-uh tells us to practice 1 or 2 minutes out of the hour, he could just be trying to cultivate good habits. 1 or 2 minutes of presence in an hour for someone whose mind is a wreck is a dramatic improvement. Of course, you want to get to the other 58 minutes but that's a hefty goal. That said I could see how someone would also take it as a dictum to just half-ass it. "I'm 'in the moment' 16 minutes a day!!!" Again, an accomplishment but not the end. Compared to some of the crap out there, it can't hurt.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Dec 7 08 2:56 PM

Sorry for the necro, but I agree, I think there's a place for "graded" teaching. Some people feel an affinity, or an echo with the pointing-out instructions, but can't really get a handle on it for some reason - yet they are interested, and want to pursue the matter. Or sometimes people come really confused, and require at least some mental and emotional stability before they can even focus on the teaching - yet, at the same time, they find something resonating for them, and want to pursue the matter.

So what do you do with such people? Tell them to go away? Maybe; on the other hand, for such people, sadhana of various kinds have traditionally been prescribed, and Tolle seems to be just offering little sadhanas suitable to people of these times.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 25 09 12:01 AM

I found Tolle to be helpful several years ago when I read his 1st book. Great stuff at the time.
Looking back I can see how it does distill the schizm down to the basics. I'm curious though as I forgot... how did he resolve it?

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Dec 5 09 11:12 PM

Those who speak agains teh ego and mind are often the most egoistical. They are usually megalomaniacs!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Dec 26 09 5:45 PM

Every one is talking about and teaching about "the now" , getting back to it , finding , it staying in it . It is IMPOSSIBLE to be OUT of the present , totally impossible . Lets say there are six billion people on this planet . If you were to ask each one , "Are you present?" each one would say yes. Who would ever say , "I am not present", "I am not" , it is the one and only fact that every one is absolutely sure of. "I am". So why this multi million dollar Guru business to help or show people what they already know naturally , innately , spontaneously , non conceptually " ," I am".  Tazzy.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Dec 27 09 8:00 AM

Behalfacre, you echo one of my two thoughts on this thread.  One can never be anything other than in the now.  We cannot even prove that there is a "past" or a "future" - nothing "other" can be shown to exist.

My other thought turns me to the essential dualism of Claude Lvi-Strauss.  All of human life, of human experience, of human thought, is based in some sort of essential dualism.  If dualism isn't a primary property of the univese, then why is it so prevalent in all we see, think and do?  From matter/antimatter down to the eternal struggle of good versus evil, all is dualistic.  Ying and Yang.  Nearly every culture (probably all) have this concept in one form or another.  All life has this property - stimulus/reaction, eat/excrete, live/die.

Rich

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dec 28 09 6:00 AM

Hi Rich,I'm no scholar I barely made it through high school so I have no idea who Claude Levi Strauss is but it's clear to me that duality is the mind and mind is duality, is there any duality if you don't think about it?
     As for Tolle I certainly would not recommend him, who needs another concept, "the pain body"??...Tazzy.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 27 12 12:53 PM

"...he's still setting folks up for an internal schism of personality features, setting sub-personalities against one another..."

I can't but believe that you see most folks as victims & rather weak-minded  to be this easily pliable.  Is that true or am I possibly missing something here? 

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 28 12 11:06 AM

Tolle gets part of what is truly going on, Freud was more ego based like most psychs who look at things through social standards or what they consider the norm. One mans philosophy is the over analyzing of the truth through the ego to make it his.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help